Brandeis Precollege Online Program
Explore your interests before college
If you have a passion for a certain subject and would like to explore it before college, here is your chance. The Brandeis Precollege Online Program offers courses, designed for high school students ages 13 and up. Each course features engaging videos by Brandeis faculty and access to mentors. The program is available year-round, and the online format lets you study anywhere, anytime at your own pace.
Multiple 2- and 4-week sessions.
For students ages 13+.
Current courses available:
Civil Litigation: Go Behind the Scenes of a Lawsuit
Experience what it’s like to work for a law firm. In this course, you’ll help prepare a case, interview the client, and argue the merits of a dispute based on previous legal rulings. If you are thinking about a future in the law, this course is for you. Taught through engaging videos by Rosalind Kabrhel, Chair of the Legal Studies Program at Brandeis University.
Climate Change: Inside the Science and Advocacy
Do you see challenges in your neighborhood where the environment is being harmed? Want to know how to make a scientifically informed argument for change? Do you know your household’s carbon footprint? If you’re interested in STEM, ecology, or future study in the sciences, this course is a great choice. Taught through engaging videos by Brandeis professors Colleen Hitchcock and Sabine von Mering.
Women's Health: Biology and Wellness
What makes women’s anatomy unique? What role does reproduction play? What about hormones, fertility, aging, and the particular diseases that affect women? Take a tour of women’s biology. Learn their hurdles to obtaining healthcare. If you’re interested in pre-med, STEM or the sciences, this course is for you. Taught through engaging videos by professor Melissa Kosinski-Collins, PhD, Professor of Biology at Brandeis.
Global Health: When the World Gets Sick
Why do some diseases spread worldwide, while others remain local? How do such illnesses affect economics, politics and human rights? What can you do to lobby for more effective and just treatment? This course offers a multi-faceted look at global health. If you are interested in medicine, STEM, or advocacy, you’ll want to be part of this course. Taught through engaging videos by Brandeis professor and scientist, Cynthia Tschampl, PhD.
How You Will Benefit
- Online courses available throughout the year — pick a subject that fits your passion and your schedule
- Suitable for high school students ages 13 and up — so you can start exploring your interests early on
- Experience what it’s like to take a course designed by Brandeis University faculty while you’re still in high school
- Lessons by professors are delivered through videos so that you can tune in whenever your schedule allows — the ultimate in flexibility
- Guidance from a mentor who can support you and answer questions as you deepen your learning experience
- Earn a Certificate of Completion from Brandeis University
3 Learning Advantages Designed for You
- 100% online, works with your schedule
- You’ll learn through engaging videos. Tune in anytime that works for you.
- 20 - 30 hours of total instruction and course work, including engaging multimedia, simulations, and curated assignments for which you will receive guidance and support from mentors
- Engage with fellow students online from around the world
You’ll receive guidance from a mentor who can support you and answer questions as you deepen your learning experience. You can expect:
- Encouragement and direction on all assignments
- Inspiration, motivation and confidence to help you excel in your studies
- Brainstorming and ideation help as you prepare for your final project
All online courses culminate in a special project that allows you to:
- Demonstrate what you've learned in a presentation
- Get feedback from your mentors on your work
- Choose from a variety of topics covered in your course to show what you’ve learned
- Use any media you prefer— text, video, photography, PowerPoint
How to Apply
It’s easy. No transcripts or letters of recommendation are required. Our application will ask you to provide the following in English:
- Basic contact information for you and your parent or guardian.
- Why you wish to take this course, and a bit of your story. You can tell us about yourself through writing, video, photos — any media you prefer.
NOTE: Please submit all application materials in English.
Begin the guided process. It should take only a few minutes of your time to answer the questions.Apply Now
Frequently Asked Questions
How will you be graded? What are assignments like? How much time do you get to turn around a project? When do you find out if you're accepted?Answers to Your Questions Here
Want to study on campus?
Brandeis University offers a variety of residential courses throughout the summer that allow Precollege students to engage in the rigors of academics at a world-class university, and join a vibrant community of people interested and engaged in some of the most pressing issues of our time.Learn More About On Campus Study
We offer need-based scholarships in each cohort to students exhibiting high potential who need assistance affording the associated cost. If you would like to be considered for a scholarship but you:
- Haven't applied to the program, complete your application now. The scholarship application is included.
- Applied to the program and didn't fill out a scholarship request, reach out to us at firstname.lastname@example.org for assistance.
- Are unsure about whether or not you applied for a scholarship, reach out to us at email@example.com for assistance.